People of all countries tend to use forenames which run in the family. In Scotland families not only use such names but they tend to follow naming patterns - the most common of which is:
- 1st son - named after his paternal grandfather
- 2nd son - named after his maternal grandfather
- 3rd son - named after his father
- 1st daughter - named after her maternal grandmother
- 2nd daughter - named after her paternal grandmother
- 3rd daughter - named after her mother
Although this naming pattern was not always used, it can be a useful indication to genealogists. Unfortunately, this pattern is not used to the same extent today.